Monday, January 23, 2012

Weighing In


I weigh myself every day.  Now before I get hundreds of comments and emails telling me that I shouldn't for this reason or that, let me tell you why I do it.
I feel it's a way for me to answer for my yesterday.
I am a big believer that people are more apt to do something when they have to answer for it.  I  don't know about you, but when I realize that I have a dentist check-up coming up in a week or so, I start flossing religiously.  Sure, I may have flossed a few times in the prior six months, but all of a sudden flossing becomes my number one priority.  That way, when my dentist asks, "Are you flossing every day?" I can look him in the eye and say, "Yes."  (He doesn't need to know that I mean, "Yes, every day since last Thursday.")
The same goes for the scale.  If I know that I'll be getting on the scale tomorrow morning, I tend to make better choices in the food I eat and the exercise I do today.
I do realize that weight fluctuates every day - sometimes dramatically - but it still give me a good idea of where I'm going.  (Besides I don't believe the scale until I have seen the same weight at least two days in a row.)
I have a spreadsheet that I use daily to track my weight and then I will usually log the result on MFP on Wednesday.  (It's a few days past the weekend so I don't have to pay for weekend crimes.)
A few things to remember when you weigh-in: 
  • Use the bathroom first.  You will weigh less if your bladder is empty.
  • Weigh-in at the same time.
  • Weigh-in with the least amount of clothes possible.  You would be surprised how much weight clothes add.  (I realize that some of you weigh-in at a public place, so stripping down is not an option.  Just wear the "lightest" clothes you have.)
  • Don't be too hard on yourself.  Weight is going to fluctuate depending on water, sodium and other factors.  Just because the scale shows you gained two pounds since last time doesn't mean that you should give up and inhale a Double Bacon Cheeseburger on the way to work.
  • Don't rely solely on the scale.  A lot of times you are building muscle, replacing the fat in your body.  Muscle is still going to weigh something, but that muscle will help you burn more calories.  If you see a change in your body or in the way your clothes fit, and the scale hasn't budged, step away from the scale and take your body's word for it.
Keep up the great work.  You are doing an amazing job!  Don't let anyone - especially yourself - tell you differently.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eric! Andie here (aka Raw Sugar on the MFP). I agree with this. I was a once-a-week weigher for the longest time, especially when I was doing weight watchers. I refused to even have a scale in my house so I wouldn't be tempted to weigh myself every day.

    Since I've been on MFP, I've started weighing everyday and I've actually found it LESS frustrating than once a week.. if I weigh once a week, and record a gain, I have to wait a whole week to see if it get's undone (and it's usually a more overwhelming gain over a week, than over a day).

    Weighing every day I find I can account for fluctuations like those cases you mentioned, like a high-sodium day.. or the days when I'm having 'lady issues'. Since I've started weighing every day, I'm having a lot less of those 'OMG THIS IS SO HARD I GIVE UP' moments. Instead I tend now to go, okay well, I'll be extra careful today, maybe tomorrow will be better.

    ReplyDelete

I must approve all comments before they are posted. (You can thank spammers for that.)