Thursday, November 17, 2011

Right Now!

Don't wanna wait 'til tomorrow.  Why put it off another day?

That is the opening line to Van Halen's "Right Now".

That song just so happened to be on my MP3 player this morning as I started the Couch To 5K (C25K) program again this morning.

A few months ago, I was doing great at getting up every morning at 4:00 to walk/jog.  Then I was hit with a number of colds - and a cough that didn't go away no matter how many doctors I saw or how much medicine I took - so my cardio routine went from 5K to Just Dance.  (I still wheezed my way through "Wake Me Up before You Go-Go")

One step ahead, one step behind.  Now you gotta run to get even.

So that brings me to this morning.  I was up and ready to run.  I decided to do my running indoors at the gym, to try to save my lungs from the cold November air.

Day 1: Walk five minutes, jog two minutes, walk five minutes  (Link)

The walking the five minutes was pretty easy.  Besides I had Van Halen to keep me company through it.

Then I started the jogging.

The first thirty seconds seemed like a minute.  The first minute seemed like 15!  My lungs couldn't take in enough air.  I have never wanted two minutes to be over so bad in my life.  (Except maybe on Christmas morning when I was kid.  We couldn't wake my parents up until 6:00 and the clock stopped - and maybe went backwards, even - at 5:58.)

I kept going, though.

Workin' so hard to make it easier.  Got to turn, c'mon turn this thing around.

Finally the stopwatch arrived at 2:00 and I slowed down to do the five minute walk.

As I walked for those five minutes, I thought about how I arrived here in the first place.  (Not "here" as in "life".  My dad taught me about that years ago.)  How did I get to this point where I am literally running for my life?

I realized that it didn't matter.  Yesterday is gone!  It's in the history books.  No matter what I did yesterday, I need to do better today.

And tomorrow?  Tomorrow doesn't count, yet.  My tomorrow could be affected by the choices I make today.  (Heaven knows that my health today is the outcome of too many yesterdays.)

Right here and now!  It means everything!


Let's start today so that our tomorrow is nothing like our yesterday.

Tell me, what are you waiting for?  Turn this thing around.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of interested in this C25K thing.. but I hate running lol. That's why I tend to gravitate towards dance and sports for exercise. But being able to run would be cool.

    ReplyDelete

I must approve all comments before they are posted. (You can thank spammers for that.)