Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bye, Bye 240


I am one of those people that weigh themselves daily.  I know that I shouldn't.  I know that weight can fluctuate dramatically day by day, even hour by hour.  However, the scale happens to be right there in the bathroom when I'm undressing to shower (sorry to put that visual in your mind) so why not?
Yesterday I weighed myself and I was at 241 pounds exactly.  It was exciting.  I was one pound away from not only reaching the "down 30 pounds" marker, but being at the weight that is on my drivers license.
See, I lied about my weight when I had to get a new & improved drivers license earlier this year.  There was no way I was going to put 270 pounds there.  Call it pride, call it denial, call it whatever you want, I didn't want to be reminded that I was 270 pounds every time I caught a glance at my license.  (I guess 240 was a more "normal" weight in my mind.)
To be honest, I think the last time I weighed 240 pounds was about the time Monica Lewinsky was a household name.  (I don't think there's any correlation between her being in the news and my weight going up 30+ pounds.) 
But I digress.  At 241 yesterday I knew that I was one pound away from a major accomplishment.  
And then I weighed myself this morning.
I stepped on the scale, expecting it to be a little over 241 due to my McRib combo yesterday, but what I saw surprised me: 239.2 
Now, I know that it can easily be back to above 240 tomorrow.  Heck, it may be back up there right now, but the point is, for the first time in I don't know how long, my scale has dropped below the 240 mark. 
But there was just more than that.  I looked at myself in the mirror and I really kind of liked what I saw was happening.  Sure, the love handles are still there, but they are much less easy to grab.  My belly has shrunk to the point where I almost don't recognize it as my own.  My formally flabby arms actually looked more muscular. And my chest almost looks like a male chest.  (Almost.)
There's still a long way to go, but the improtant thing is, it's going. 
So see you later, 240.  I don't plan on ever seeing you again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I must approve all comments before they are posted. (You can thank spammers for that.)