Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Appetite for Suppression


Before I started my current "diet", one of the only diets that ever really worked for me was The Shangri-La Diet (SLD), by Seth Roberts.  (I am not affiliated with Seth Roberts, nor am I trying to get you to purchase his book.)
The basics of SLD is that you take flavorless calories - either in oil or sugar - and it causes you to lose weight.  (That is the very basic version of it.  There's a whole science behind it that Seth explains in the book, but it went way over my head.  All I understood was "Take oil, lose weight.")
As odd as it sounds, I did this every single day for quite a few months, taking a couple of tablespoons of canola oil an hour before breakfast and then an hour after dinner.   It worked wonders.  The pounds came off, but more importantly, I really just didn't have an appetite.  (It surprised my wife when we'd go out to dinner and I'd eat maybe half a burger and no fries.)  I only ate when I was hungry and I loved it!
Once I decided to really watch my calorie intake, I stopped with SLD - and the additional 120 calories per tablespoon of canola oil - and my appetite came back with a vengeance.
It has now been about six months since I started my journey to lose more weight than I ever have before and I still haven't been able to supress my appetite the way that I did with SLD.  I am able to ignore the temptations, but I really want to get back to where I eat only when I'm hungry.
I realize that a lot of this has to do with emotional eating.  When I get stressed or bored, I feel like I need to be eating something.  I am trying to overcome this.
I am just looking for some natural, healthy appetite suppressors.  (I mean, besides the obvious ones like water or fiber.)  Do you eat or drink anything that causes you ward off daily temptations?

2 comments:

  1. have you ever tried green tea capsules? they usually work pretty good for me... but the caffiene can make it hard to sleep, so I only take them once a day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brush my teeth or use mouthwash whenever I feel the need to eat for no reason. That usually does the trick for me. They say that the science behind those who are or have been overweight, and the brain chemistry, takes about a year or so to correct. A person who has never been overweight can eat less to feel satisfied, and has fewer cravings. It takes some time for those who have been overweight, or over eaters, to have their brain re-adjust. But, it DOES happen. Just takes time and diligence.

    ReplyDelete

I must approve all comments before they are posted. (You can thank spammers for that.)