Monday, January 9, 2012

A Vegetarian in the Works


BEFORE I BEGIN: I'm not here to argue about the ethics of eating meat.  If you have an agenda that you believe in - on either side - take it someplace where people who care can read it.  Thanks.  
I eat meat on a fairly regular basis.  That's an understatement.  I have a 2 grills, a smoker and a firepit in my backyard, all of which I use to cook meat in one way or another.
Having said that, I have come to the realization that I really need to cut back on my meat intake.
This started a few months ago when I became a "weekday vegetarian".  I figured I did most of my BBQ on weekends, so I tried to limit the amount of meat I ate during the week.  
I have now decided that I want to take it a step further.
I'm not going vegan nor am I going entirely vegetarian.  I am just going to limit the amount of beef & pork from my diet.  (Maybe once a week.)
I will and also watch the intake of poultry and fish.
So far, I've been doing well.  I went to Texas Roadhouse on Saturday night for my mother-in-law's birthday dinner.  Instead of ordering a rack of ribs or a juicy steak, I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich.  (It was great, by the way.)
Last night, I made meatballs & spaghetti for the family, but did not eat any of the meatballs.  (Trust me, that is a huge step.)
And so it will continue.  
I know that it will be difficult more days than others, but I know that I can do this. 
If any of you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.  (But once again, please keep your politics to yourself.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I must approve all comments before they are posted. (You can thank spammers for that.)