Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My 40th


Yesterday I celebrated my 40th birthday.  I would like to say that I ate nothing but healthy stuff, but I would be lying.  
Hey, you only turn 40 once.
Back in July, I set a goal for myself to lose 40 pounds by my birthday.  I started at 270 pounds and Friday morning when I weighed myself, I weighed 230.6 pounds.  I can't tell you how discouraging that was, considering the fact that I knew that I was going to be "bad" throughout the weekend.  
It didn't stop me from trying.  I did my usual workout on Friday, drank vast amounts of water and ate fairly well on Friday.  
On Saturday I woke up and the scale shocked me: 231.2!  
What in the name of Elvis?
Saturday was not a great day.  I ate a decent breakfast (egg white omlette with mushrooms and chili peppers) then my mother-in-law took us out to German food for lunch.  I am happy to report that I was able to pass on the bratwursts.  (A huge accomplishment for me.)  However, I ate enough spaetzle, wienerschnitzel and sauerkraut to make up for it.  For dinner we had a homemade hoagie, but then I splurged when I went to see Mission Impossible (finally).  I bought some nachos. 
Sunday's weigh-in: 231.8.
Sunday was my fast day for my church, so all I had was dinner (chicken & rice) and then my wife made me a German Chocolate Cake for my birthday.  (We figured since we were going to be with her family, she would make it on Sunday so they could eat most of it, leaving less left-overs for me.)  
Monday's weigh-in: 230.8! 
I was bummed.  Granted, I could've done more to reach the goal.  I should've done more.  I was so close!  .8 pounds!  That's not even an entire pound!
After feeling sorry for myself (while doing the 30 Day Shred), I realized that instead of focusing on the negative in this, I should focus on the positive.
I've lost 39.2 pounds!   That's the most I have ever lost on a "diet".  As my friend, Andria, pointed out, "That's nearly 8 bags of flour!"
My next goal is to lose another 40 by my wife's birthday in September.  
40 pounds in about 30 weeks!  I can totally do this. 
Here's to a great kickstart in February.  Let's do this thing!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, I think you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in your blog!!!! I'm FAMOUS! On a much less important note: CONGRATS ON LOSING EIGHT BAGS OF FLOUR!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I must approve all comments before they are posted. (You can thank spammers for that.)